The charge of the Elevator Safety Program is to provide for safety of life and limb by making sure that the design, erection, installation, alteration, maintenance, inspection and repair of elevators, escalators, moving walks, platform lifts, material lifts, and dumbwaiters - and the operation of same - is reasonably safe to persons and property and in compliance with the most current codes and safety standards.
- ANSI/ASME A17.1 2010, Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators with the following exceptions: i. Compliance with section 184.108.40.206.2 shall require that the means for disconnecting the main power as required by this section to be within sight of controller. ii. Compliance with section 220.127.116.11.5(c) Car and Counterweight Buffer testing shall be conducted at slow speed in accordance with Item 18.104.22.168(a) in ANSI/ASME A17.2 2007. iii. Compliance with Section 22.214.171.124, which requires a sump pump or drain in the elevator pit, shall be optional. If a sump pump or drain is installed, it shall meet the requirements of this section. A sump with a cover shall be provided in each elevator pit.
- ANSI/ASME A17.2 2007 Guide for Inspection of Elevators, Escalators, & Moving Walks.
- ANSI/ASME A17.3 2008 Safety Code for Existing Elevators and Escalators.
- ANSI/ASME A17.4 1999 Guide for Emergency Personnel.
- ANSI/ASME A17.5 2004 Elevator and Escalator Electrical Equipment.
- ANSI/ASME A17.6 2010 Standard for Elevator Suspension, and Governor Systems.
- ANSI/ASME A17.7 2007 Performance-based Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators.
- ANSI/ASME A18.1 2008 Safety Standards for Platform Lifts and Chairlifts.
- ASME QEI-1 2010 Standard for the Qualification of Elevator Inspectors.
- ICC 117.1 – 2003 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities (IBC uses 2009 edition)
- IDAPA 07.04.02 2016 Elevator Statutes and Rules Packet [pdf]
The ASME standards are available for purchase from: http://www.asme.org/
- Fee Schedule[PDF] - elevator
Forms & Applications
Program Manager Bulletins
Publications & Brochures
- Private Residence Elevator Electrical Inspections [PDF]
- Material Lifts Overview [PDF]
- Existing Elevator Fire Service [PDF]
Stakeholder Meeting 05/20/2014
Stakeholder Meeting 05/16/2013
Stakeholder Meeting 05/23/2012
Meridian Meeting 6/22/2011, PowerPoint presentation
Meridian Meeting 5/18/2010
Coeur d'Alene Meeting 12/09/2008
Meridian Meeting 11/05/2008