Official Government Website

Licensing & Continuing Education

Who Needs to be Licensed?

Persons who perform electrical, HVAC or plumbing work without a required state-issued license or who violate other applicable codes or rules are subject to civil penalties.

It is unlawful to engage in public works contracting without first having acquired an Idaho Public Works Contractor License of the proper class. The Division of Occupational and Professional Licenses may impose substantial administrative assessments for contractor violations.

It is unlawful to engage in construction management services on public works projects without first having acquired an Idaho Construction Manager License. Violations of this provision may result in significant administrative assessments.

For more information see below.

Continuing Education

Electrical CEU and Renewal Policy

Each licensed Journeyman and Master electrician must provide 24 hours of Idaho approved continuing education in order to renew their license. Of the 24 hours, 8 hours must be Code Update. The remaining 16 hours of continuing education can be from any combination of the three categories of Idaho approved continuing education that include Code Update, Code Related, or Industry Related. These credits must have been obtained in the three (3) year period between renewal of such licenses. Additionally, licensed individuals will be able to receive up to four (4) hours of continuing education credit by attending board meetings and negotiated rule meetings.

The Idaho Division of Building Safety (DBS) has partnered with CE Broker to track and manage the continuing education requirements for our licensed professionals. This means that you will have a powerful new tool at your fingertips to help you increase attendance at your CE courses!

You will find approved courses, and account login information at


Individuals holding an HVAC Apprentice registration with an expiration date of 7/31/2021 or after, shall provide proof of completion of one year HVAC Apprenticeship school accomplished during their registration cycle OR show proof of enrollment for the upcoming school year in order to renew for another year. If proof of school completion or enrollment cannot be provided, Apprentices may submit 8 hours of HVAC continuing education credits to renew their registration.

Manufactured Housing Installers

Each year you hold a valid MFG Installer license you are required to obtain 4 hours of Idaho approved continuing education in order to renew your license.

Current List of Approved Manufactured Housing Courses in Idaho

ver: 3.5.1 | last updated: