Permits for Electrical, HVAC and Plumbing Installations
A permit grants the holder authorization to perform specific construction and/or installation work. Permits are assigned a unique document number which is required when requesting inspections and approval of the work.
Contractors AND Homeowners performing electrical, plumbing or HVAC work.
A permit is required when any electrical, plumbing or HVAC work is being performed.
The purpose of the permit system is to ensure compliance with proper installation and safety standards. The Idaho Legislature authorized a permit fee structure to cover the costs of inspections and administration.
Homeowners may purchase a permit only when they themselves are doing electrical, plumbing, or HVAC work on their primary or secondary residence and/or related outbuildings. Homeowner permits are not valid for work on commercial buildings. To purchase an online permit you will need to register and establish an account (free) in order to access the online permitting application.
The Division of Occupational and Professional Licenses offers online permitting to licensed HVAC, Plumbing and Electrical contractors as well as homeowners performing work on their primary or secondary residences. Register and establish a free account and purchase your permit online. If you need assistance registering or processing your permit, please contact one of our team members at 208-334-3233.
Fees are based on the value of the work performed.
Permits expire one (1) year after the applied date of the permit or one (1) year after the last documented inspection. If your permit expires and has been expired for less than a year, you may reactivate the permit for an additional year by contacting the Division of Occupational and Professional Licenses and paying a reactivation fee.
Even though you have a building permit issued by a local jurisdiction, it may still be necessary for you to obtain permits from DOPL for electrical, plumbing or HVAC work. Because the legislature has authorized a number of cities and counties to assume jurisdiction within their boundaries, permit requirements vary widely throughout the state. Please refer to this chart showing jurisdiction based on geographical location. If you still have questions after reviewing the chart, please call our office at 208-334-3233.
The Division of Occupational and Professional License offers online purchases of permits. Register and establish a free account and purchase your permit online. If you need assistance registering or processing your permit, please contact one of our team members at 208-334-3233.
A Job Identification Sticker is an orange sticker used to identify the job site. It must be filled out and posted in a prominently visible location on the job site, where the permitted work is being performed.
There are several ways you can receive a Job Identification Sticker.
- Homeowners and Contractors who obtain permits at the Division of Occupational and Professional Licenses offices will be given one Job Identification Sticker for each purchased permit. Those who apply for permits by fax or e-mail will have a sticker mailed, faxed or e-mailed to them with their permit.
- If you purchase your permit through the online system, you must print a copy of the Job Identification Sticker and display it at the job site. A DOPL inspector will replace it with an orange Job Identification Sticker at the time of their first visit.
Yes. Other stickers will be used by inspectors to notify permit holders of inspection results. Those stickers and their colors are as follows:
- Correction Sticker (yellow): A formal notice of items that need to be corrected that were identified by an inspector.
- Approved for Cover (green): This means the work has been approved and may be covered.
- Gas Piping/Pressure Test: (long white sticker): Used for gas piping and pressure testing. Sticker is placed around the pipe when the gas piping and pressure test inspection has passed.
- Final Inspection Sticker (white): Indicates permitted work listed has been inspected and approved.
- Final Inspection Sticker (silver): A final inspection sticker for outside locations.