Official Government Website

Building Frequently Asked Questions


  • Modular Buildings: Buildings built in one place with the intent to move the building to another site for placement are under the jurisdiction of DBS for the construction that is done at the place of manufacture. Work that is done on the placement site is under jurisdiction of the city or county. Please contact the city or county.
  • Manufactured Homes: Manufactured Homes (HUD) are regulated under the National Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1974, which is preemptive over construction standards established by states and local governments.
  • Private Buildings: The Building Program of DBS does not have jurisdiction over site-built private structures if the building or structure is not one of the above. Contact the city or county.
The role of the Building Program is to promote the health, safety, and welfare of Idaho’s citizens through effective administration of building safety laws in partnership with involved state agencies, school districts, local jurisdictions, architects, engineers, and the manufactured home and modular building industries.

Division of Building Safety (DBS) is responsible for the issuance of building permits and building inspections for construction projects owned by the State of Idaho or any of its departments or agencies. DBS does NOT issue building permits for projects not owned by the State. For those, contact the local government.

The building permit pertains to work regulated by the International Building Code, International Energy Conservation Code, International Residential Code (parts I, II, III, IV) and the International Existing Building Code. To obtain a building permit please complete the Building Permit Application and submit it with payment of the fee. Fee information is on the application.

The plans, specifications, calculations and other documents need to have been submitted and approved prior to the issuance of this permit. If that has not already been done, start by submitting the Plan Review Application.


§ 39-4116. Local government adoption and enforcement of building codes

(5) Local governments shall exempt agricultural buildings from the requirements of the codes enumerated in this chapter and the rules promulgated by the board. A county may issue permits for farm buildings to assure compliance with road setbacks and utility easements, provided that the cost for such permits shall not exceed the actual cost to the county of issuing the permits.

Separate Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) permits may be required. Contact the Division of Building Safety or the local jurisdiction having authority for more information on required permits.

AGRICULTURAL BUILDING – a structure designed and constructed to house farm implements, hay, grain, poultry, livestock, or other horticultural products. This structure shall not be a place of human habitation or a place of employment where agricultural products are processed, treated or packaged, nor shall it be a place used by the public.

Definition of Agricultural Building is located in Chapter 2 of the International Building Code.

No. Idaho adopted codes do not regulate the inspection or mitigation process regarding the presence of mold in building construction. However, below are three resource links that may help with questions regarding mold.

Mold Resources:

ver: 3.5.1 | last updated: