Building a Safer Idaho

Licensing & Continuing Education

Licensing Information

Who Needs to be Licensed?

Persons who perform electrical, HVAC or plumbing work without a required state-issued license or who violate other applicable codes or rules are subject to civil penalties.

It is unlawful to engage in public works contracting without first having acquired an Idaho Public Works Contractor License of the proper class. The Division of Building Safety may impose substantial administrative assessments for contractor violations.

It is unlawful to engage in construction management services on public works projects without first having acquired an Idaho Construction Manager License. Violations of this provision may result in significant administrative assessments.

For more information see below.

Electrical Licenses

HVAC Licenses

Manufactured Housing Licenses

Plumbing Licenses

Public Works Licenses


Continuing Education


For every three years you hold a valid Electrical Journeyman or Masters license you are required to obtain sixteen (16) hours of code update and eight (8) hours of an Industry related course. Click here for a complete list of CEU courses [PDF] that have been approved by the State of Idaho.


After December 31, 2013, plumbing journeyman and contractors will be required to have the minimum hours of continuing education to renew their license. Journeymen must complete eight (8) hours of continuing education for every three-year license cycle, or complete an exam administered by the Division. Of the required eight (8) hours, four (4) hours must be plumbing code update related and the other four (4) hours may be industry related training. Contractors must complete sixteen (16) hours of continuing education for every three-year license cycle. Hours accrued obtaining journeyman education may be applied toward this requirement whenever applicable.

Beginning January 1, 2013, those holding a valid journeyman license may take the CEU exam administered by the Division of Building Safety. A fee of fifty ($50) dollars must be paid before taking the exam.


There is no continuing education requirement for HVAC at this time.

Manufactured Housing Installers

Each year you hold a valid MFG Installer license you are required to obtain 4 hours of Idaho approved continuing education in order to renew your license. You may contact the Division of Building Safety to inquire about approved courses.


Help me Find...

What's New


PWCL Administrative Assessments

Electrical, Plumbing & HVAC Contacts

Licensing, Permits & Inspection Support
  • 208-334-3950
  • 800-955-3044
Inspection Requests
  • 208-332-4700
  • 800-839-9239

Public Works Contractor Licensing Contacts

Licensing & Fees
  • 208-334-4057
  • 800-955-3044